Friday, June 27, 2008

Heinemann's African Writers Series

Around the time I finished writing A Basket of Leaves: 99 Books That Capture the Spirit of Africa (now available at Amazon, Amazon Canada, Amazon UK, Powell's, Alibris, AbeBooks, and elsewhere!) I was saddened to read about the demise of Heinemann's African Writers Series, which began with Things Fall Apart and went on to publish many important African writers. I reviewed more Heinemann titles in my own book than those of any other publisher, including Things Fall Apart, Efuru, When Rain Clouds Gather, Mission to Kala, The Last Harmattan of Alusine Dunbar, The Purple Violet of Oshaantu, Voices Made Night, The Chattering Wagtails of Mikuyu Prison, Mayombe, Season of Migration to the North, A Cowrie of Hope, The Seven Solitudes of Lorsa Lopez, A Grain of Wheat, and The Gunny Sack. Now I've learned from Laila Lalami's blog that the African Writers Series is back! Good news for fans of diversity in literature.

No comments: